[Mageia-dev] Non-free firmwares in installer

Thorsten van Lil tvl83 at gmx.de
Thu Mar 24 12:52:29 CET 2011

Am 24.03.2011 11:53, schrieb Michael Scherer:
> Le jeudi 24 mars 2011 à 11:15 +0100, Thorsten van Lil a écrit :
>> What about a DVD including non-free packages but has the option to not
>> install them?
>> I think the majority of the users don't care that much about proprietary
>> issues, they just need them for using there wireless card or graphic
>> card. Those how do care can just uncheck the non-free part of the DVD. :)
>
> Well, personally, then I would just continue to use Fedora or others
> distribution on my computers, and keep Mageia just for the servers of
> the project.

Why?
I respect those who don't want to use non-free software, so this
shouldn't be a discussion about ideology. But I don't see a real
difference between an free-iso + an extra iso for non-free and an iso
where non-free is in an extra directory and can be used if the user
wants to.
The only difference I see is, like wobo said, the public perception but
this couldn't be your trigger?

Regards,
Thorsten