[Mageia-dev] Non-free firmwares in installer

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Thu Mar 24 13:32:21 CET 2011

On 24.03.2011 12:39, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> But I don't think it would be a good idea to include non-free contents
> in the distribution ISOs at all. That this assumed majority does not
> care about the issue does not mean we should not care either. We
> should rather stress the point.

Note that the current Alpha2 ISO contains many non-free [1] firmware
files, and without those e.g. many popular wired NICs do not work, and
the 3D acceleration of ATI *free* driver depends on those.

[1] Depending on the definition - some are BSD/similar but still without
source code, so considered non-free by OSI/FSF/Debian.

--
Anssi Hannula