[Mageia-dev] Gstreamer pfl codecs/plugins

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Thu Mar 24 14:55:49 CET 2011

On 03/24/2011 09:45 AM, Romain d'Alverny wrote:

> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=licensing_policy#acceptable_licenses
>
> "The tainted section accepts software under a license that is might be
> free or open source and which cannot be redistributed publicly in
> certain areas in the world, or due to patents issues."
>
> and
>
> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=mirrors_policy#tainted
>
> "stuff we think we can redistribute, but that may have some patent
> issues or other restrictions in other countries"
>
> look like consistent with each other, althought the "what belongs / is
> allowed here must still be discussed" indeed looks like it's not
> frozen yet.

The reason I ask is that, in perusing the PLF package descriptions which
include the reason the package is in PLF, the criteria seems to be
"Mandriva was afraid to include this in main/contrib for <fill in your
own reason from a large list>" .  The Mageia policies try to enumerate
specific reasons why things will be put in tainted, but don't explcitly
say that there's anything we *wouldn't* put in tainted.  So it's hard to
know whether tainted == PLF or not.