[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel needed for Trinitydesktop (KDE 3.5 successor)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Mar 25 12:43:28 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Tux99 at 25/03/11 11:14 did gyre and gimble:
> My concerns here are exactly because I'm getting the feeling that freedom
> is being unnecessarily restricted in Mageia.

This is a very, very subjective statement, and I am rather concerned
that it's being used as some kind of leverage here (perhaps include a
picture of a puppy with sad eyes too! :p)

"Freedom" is in no way restricted. I see absolutely no problem with
compiling a qt3 package yourself with the -devel package enabled if you
want to use it. If you come up with a set of applications that then
build off it that you want to be included in Mageia repos, then I'm sure
this can be discussed at the time.

Saying that a certain packaging option "restricts freedom" is a
statement I find rather offensive. Nothing is restricted, you simply
have to rebuild things.

Ahmad disabled gvfs-iphone the other day as it requires a newer (and
apparently less stable) libimobiledevice. Does that "restrict my
freedom"? No, of course it does not. I don't necessarily agree with the
decision and I'll test the stability of the new combo in coming weeks to
see if it can be included officially. This isn't restricting my freedom,
it's just a process I have to go through. This is exactly the same with
your qt3-devel issue.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie