[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel needed for Trinitydesktop (KDE 3.5 successor)

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Fri Mar 25 14:06:09 CET 2011

Quote: John Balcaen wrote on Fri, 25 March 2011 13:27

> > As I said earlier in this thread I have of course already rebuilt
> > the qt3
> > package on my box and started working on the TDE packages (thanks
> > to work
> > done by Tim for Mandriva it's far easier for me now).
> >
> So we can now work on next step ?

I said I "started working on the TDE packages", not that I have completed
and fully debugged them. Right now I'm quite demotivated to continue with
this since I don't see the point given that it won't be included in the
repos.

Xavier's post about qt3-devel are also being completely ignored and they
have nothing to do with TDE, but are at least as valid.

> > At this point I don't think there is any chance that TDE ever goes
> > into the
> > Mageia repos, given the attitudes I have faced here.
> >
> I don't see why.

Maybe because core members of Mageia have explicitly said they are against
TDE being included in the Mageia repos earlier in this thread?

> We started a new distribution and we made choices, one of them was to
> not
> have Qt3 apps.

Who is "we"? I don't recall any debate about this and even less a consensus
being formed in the community.

> It's not like we were providing Qt3 & others apps & suddently someone
> decides to drop all of them from the distribution... This could be seen
> as
> arbitrary and unnecessary limitations because suddently you can loose
> functionnality, here we started *without* thoses because we decided to
> start
> like this.

Mageia claims to be an upgrade for Mandriva, so yes, this is packages being
dropped and loss of functionality for existing users, see also Xavier's
posts.

John, please don't get me wrong you and Blino have been some of the few
voices of reason in this thread and I appreciate that.

--
Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/