[Mageia-dev] Non-free firmwares in installer

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 23:37:55 CET 2011

Op zaterdag 26 maart 2011 23:15:22 schreef Oliver Burger:
> Anssi Hannula <anssi.hannula at iki.fi> schrieb am 26.03.2011
>
> > I don't really have a strong preference here, as long as
> > 1) it is consistent, and
> > 2) users are happy (e.g. no situation where even the free radeon
> > driver doesn't work with any ISO)
>
> Couldn't we have the following:
>
> - Live CDs (like Mandriva One, including proprietary stuff) (live cds
> are planned, aren't they?
> - A purely free, libre and open source installer dvd
> - An addon cd for the installer dvd containing the firmware, drivers
> and stuff?
>
> I know, if we have those "One-like" live cds, we don't really need the
> last one, but I'm quite sure, there are more people than me out here,
> who prefer a normal installer iso over a live cd...
>
> Oliver

During the times mandriva had several CDs to install it, the new ones often
only dl'ed one and complained when stuff didn't work.

I forsee possibly here the same issue with this, people will forget to
download the extra non_free CD, or do not care about non_free; wipe their
windows, install mageia, and have no networking to even get drivers anymore.

how would we advertise this anyway? this extra CD contains non_free software,
but if you have an machine with networking from vendor X with types Y,Z,...
you will absolutely need this to have functional networking?

it sounds to me like an awful lot of extra work, and complaints, etc...

but, maybe every new person uses liveCDs to install, i never did, so i
wouldn't know.

pfff, this is really a difficult topic...