[Mageia-dev] dual iso content

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 4 14:41:32 CEST 2011

2011/4/4 Thomas Lottmann <skipercooker at gmail.com>:
> Le 04/04/2011 14:13, Anne nicolas a écrit :
>>
>> 2011/4/4 Thomas Lottmann<skipercooker at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> I don't want to start a flamewar or something, but keep in mind that
>>> there
>>> are several people, pretty much unexperienced with Linux and keyboard
>>> shortcuts or combining them. They might be lost or in difficulty if nano
>>> is
>>> installed on it's own. mc or mcedit isn't too heavy and so easy to use
>>> that
>>> it would be a good idea, in my opinion, to include it.
>>>
>>> This is from my own experience. Now, I can manage to learn how to use
>>> nano
>>> or vi (I use emacs personally), but editing in text console was such a
>>> pain
>>> when I started using Linux until I found out about mcedit. So...
>>>
>>> Couldn't it be possible to installed both mcedit (basic) and nano
>>> (advanced)
>>> then? Its not like if they were heavy...
>>
>> dual iso is not planned to target unexperienced users.... no
>> proprietary drivers, very minimal interface... So even if I can
>> understand your explanation it seems to be a bit off topic for this
>> iso
>>

> You are right. Forgot the target of the dual iso... My apologies.

Well, Thomas' reason for mcedit put aside I also vote for mc. I've
been using the original in MSDOS and through all the years mc has been
the first package I installed in all my Linux installations (if it was
not installed by default), even in such a rescue system like grlm. It
is a very handy file manager for the text console, editor as well. I
even used it as main menue in an xterm in a minimal installation.

So, although I know my way in vi(m) I'd strongly recommend to give mc a chance.

--
wobo