[Mageia-dev] upgrade from mdv2010.2 to mga beta1

Renaud MICHEL r.h.michel+mageia at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 15:41:00 CEST 2011


I have tried an upgrade of my old laptop.

For the hardware part, it is based on a pentium M @1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, an intel 
855GM integrated graphics, RTL8139 ethernet and intel 2200 wifi.

For the software part, it was a mandriva 2010.2 (not up to date, about one 
month old), with KDE updated to 4.5.5 with unofficial packages from 

The upgrade was done using the i586 DVD, then updated to latest upgrades 
with urpmi --auto-select, and orphans packages removes with urpme --auto-

There was only one upgrade problem with amarok, I had amarok 2.4.0, also 
from MIB, but it failed to upgrade to the mageia packages due to a conflict, 
in the MIB packages libampache_account_login.so is provided in a separate 
package (libampache_account), but it is in the main amarok package in 
mageia. Urpmi tells me there is a conflict between amarok-3: 
and libampache_account-3:2.4.0-1mdv2010.2, and doesn't propose to uninstall 
the later to resolve the conflict.
urpme libampache_account (and amarok with it), then urpmi amarok solved the 
problem (as expected).
I don't know if this issue should be handled on mageia's side, or if MIB 
should provide an updated package re-integrating libampache_account_login.so 
into the main amarok package to provide a clean upgrade.
Looking at current cooker, they also provide libampache_account_login.so in 
the main amarok package, so the problem might arise also when updgrading to 

Looking at mdv packages still installed after the upgrade, I see 
kbluetooth-0.4.2 is still there, which, I believe, is replaced by bluedevil 
in KDE 4.6. Bluedevil is installed without conflicts, thanks to the name 
change, but shouldn't it obsolete kbluetooth?

Package plasma-applet-yawp did not upgrade to mga's version, as it is 
version 0.3.6-1.1mdv2010.2 (also from MIB) and mageia's version is 
0.3.6-1mga1, so urpmi think it is older. Not a big problem as the old 
package works fine.

Another strange case with webkit, official mandriva updates provide some 
webkit 1.2.7 packages, while magiea has 1.2.5, so I end up with
# rpm -qa|sort|grep webkit

On the hardware support part, wifi is working fine (with non-free ipw2200 
Firewire is also enabled, but I have nothing to connect to it.
Suspend to RAM works fine also.

The intel graphics works (i810), but compositing is unusable, if I enable 
kwin's desktop effects I get huge rendering problem with windows not 
updating, still showing at their old position when moved, and so on. I guess 
this is more a driver related problem and can't be fixed by mageia, but if 
confirmed by someone else with the same hardware I guess it should be listed 
in the release notes. With desktop effects disabled it is fully usable.
In mdv 2010.2, compositing was almost usable, but already with some 
rendering glithes in plasma.

I also had a strange problem when connecting one particular USB memory key 
(sandisk cruzer 8BG), udisks-daemon and dbus-daemon started taking lots of 
CPU (with many context switch wetween each other), disconnecting the key 
actually made things worse and I had to disconnect from the desktop to have 
it stop.
The strange thing is that two devices shows when that key is connected, the 
expected 8GB mass storage, and an optical disk with label "U3 System" which 
can't be mounted. I don't know what it is, but there is an "U3 smart" logo 
on the key.
I don't have the problem on another computer with KDE 4.5.5 and udisks 1.0.1

that's all for now
Renaud Michel

More information about the Mageia-dev mailing list