[Mageia-dev] looking for a mentor

Jerome Quelin jquelin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 18:39:00 CEST 2011

On 11/04/11 17:58 +0200, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
> On 11 April 2011 13:02, Jerome Quelin <jquelin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > note: i was the previous mentor.
> >
> > i prefer to step down from mentoring michal, not because of him but
> > because of my skills: as michal wants to work on a new toolchain with
> > low-level compilers, assemblers and other such tools, i really feel not
> > comfortable enough about my own knowledge to really answer his
> > questions.
> >
> > therefore, if you think you are comfortable enough with said subjects,
> > don't hesitate to step up: michal is a nice guy, listening to
> > suggestions, and eager to work on his packages!
> >
> > sorry for the false hope to michal, but i hope he will find someone that
> > will be able to follow him in his quest!
>
> Maybe can you still mentor him, on the packaging side (quality, rpmlint, ...)

even for those questions, i cannot really answer. example: fasm package is
compiled with a -m32 option - is it ok? well maybe not, but in that case
the package cannot be compiled. and this is just the tip of the
iceberg...

my core skills is about perl packaging, and packages using a standard
toolchain (configure / make / make install). my c-foo is long gone, and
i never had the rpm-foo to deal with complex packaging such as
non-standard, "bare-bone" compilation toolchain.

i can continue mentoring michal, commenting on the rpm quality that i
can handle and pushing his packages - but that would not be fair towards
michal, since in that case i'm not fully playing my role of mentor.

jérôme
jquelin at gmail.com