[Mageia-dev] [1083] merged typo corrections (bug #960) in po files

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Tue May 3 17:00:20 CEST 2011

On 3 May 2011 16:39, Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Please stop doing that.
>> You're destroying correct translations.
>> You should have run "perl -pi -e 's/sertificate/certificate/" on
>> the *.po instead of fuzzying the translations.
>> Now every translator will have to check what was the change that
>> broke the translation...
>
> Fixing those things must be done on Transifex side and I will do that. If
> you do it on svn side I just have to do it again, before uploading the
> vhanges to Tx.

1) not everybody use transiflex.

2) why force people to go through transifex in order to fix changes that should
never have been done?
only part of those changes should have resulted in changed strings.
we've always run perl -pi -e in order not to disturb translators
with not real changes.

3) please use more descriptive changes, else it's hard to see what
actually changed.
eg: "typo fix (s/owerwrite/overwrite/)
instead of "typo fix (Bug #961)"

> But I did break a few files and am about fixing them.

Please always look at svn diff output before commiting
(or in case of big changes, look at list to "svn diff|diffstat")
That would prevent such errors

Last but not least, please separate commiting the actual typo fix
from syncing with

These are two orthogonal things:
1) merging a typo fix
2) syncing with code: syncing line numbers and maybe
    fuzzying changed/deleting old /adding new lines.

Please only run "make merge" and the like only if there're actually be
changes.
Here there were none, so it both:
- just add useless noise (line renumbering) to the diff for no use
- introduce changes for other translators to have conflicts when running
  "svn up" for no good reasons.

IMHO "make merge" should only be run by developers when actually
adding/deleting/changing lines which was not the case here.

Else, if it's just a typo for the english language, just run "perl -pi
-e" on the
catalogs too in order to prevent useless work for translators

Only if meaning has changed, then update the catalogs
though "make merge"
One can also reduce the SNR for translators by doing:
- mv *.pot /tmp
- make *.pot
- diff -u -I "^#" /tmp/ *.pot > l
- #review l
- svn revert *pot; patch -p0<l

It isn't worth applying all the renumbering when one knows
it'll change tomorrow again...

My 2 cents