[Mageia-dev] Release Notes - reminder

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Wed May 25 18:11:10 CEST 2011

Thomas Backlund said on Wed, May 25, 2011 at 04:37:19PM +0300:

> Mondo package got properly epoched ~2 weeks ago:
> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/mondo/current/SPECS/mondo.spec?r1=75254&r2=96498

Why do we start a new distro then, if it's to reproduce the errors made
in the previous one ?

> 1. we promise people an upgrade path from 2010.1/2

They still have an upgrade path, and that wasn't raising an error.

> 2. rpm/urpmi/rpmdrake does not read release notes
>    (same goes for many endusers)

I disagree. THat's one of the most important reading when I go from RHEL
5.x to 5.x+1, between Mandriva, Mageia or whatever distro I'm using.

It's much more easy to point people to a link and tell them to read, to
solve their issue/question.

> 3. we dont do exceptions for package(r)s

Life is plenty of exceptions. And there are times when there are good
reasons to do them. Creating a new distro is not a task you'll do next
week again. Thinking to fix what was wrong in the previous one was IMO
more important than ensuring that level of upgrade path for a couple of
users of a package.

I especially took time to discuss that point with Anne before taking any
decision and documented it
(http://brunocornec.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/considerations-on-mondorescue-packaging-for-mageia/)

I'm a bit disappointed that no real discussion/vote/choice was made
publicly.
Bruno.
--
Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com