[Mageia-dev] painful discussion n°1: debloating

You-Cheng Hsieh yochenhsieh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 09:29:56 CEST 2012

2012/4/7 Guillaume Rousse <guillomovitch at gmail.com>:
> If thos of you lucky enough to have missed the beginning of the story, here
> are the importants parts:
> - first round: bug #4357, still marked as release blocker (despite a bit
> excessive IMHO)
> - second round: discussion on -dev, archived here:
> https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/2012-March/013342.html
>
> The whole issue turns around the unfortunate consequence of adding new
> dependencies, for various reasons, between packages and in installer:
> bloated minimal installation. In this case, this is about a specific *soft*
> dependency from gnome-keyring to seahorse, which has painful consequences,
> as outline by TV in comment #5 of the original report.
>
> Suggestion sofar for this initial problem have been suggested:
> 1) move the gnome-keyring -> seahorse soft dependency either in task-gnome,
> or task-gnome-minimal
> 2) turn the mandatory dependency between libgnome-keyring to gnome-keyring
> into a soft dependency
> - Olav (or anyone else), do you have any objection to *also* move the soft
> dependency from gnome-keyring to seahorse to either task-gnome or
> task-gnome-minimal ?

I've made the changes of 1) and 2) locally:
- remove Suggests: seahorse in gnome-keyring
- add Suggests: seahorse in task-gnome-minimal
- change Requires: gnome-keyring in libgnome-keyring to Suggests

If there's no objection, I would like to commit to svn and someone can
submit it before beta3. We can test it and decide to keep or revert it
before RC.

Thanks.