[Mageia-dev] [Mageia-discuss] beta2 woes and no graphical root (tonyb)

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Tue Apr 10 22:27:46 CEST 2012

On 04/10/2012 12:26 PM, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> 2012/4/10 Frank Griffin<ftg at roadrunner.com>:
>> On 04/10/2012 12:11 PM, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>>> Common sense? Oh, wait, this is usually broken by people who put
>>> principles above common sense. Pls lets put aside with such things like
>>> "freedom and choice by all means and don't deny me my suicide!" or "Upstream
>>> rules above everything!". Pls let common sense rule. This is not a technical
>>> issue, so let's switch on reason.
>>
>> I have no problem with disabling DM support for root login by default, or
>> not documenting how to enable it, or having the red screen.  That's common
>> sense.  Deliberately breaking a feature with which you don't agree is just
>> plain high-handed and intrusive.
> Then you have a problem here. Mageia does the former, to which you
> agree as being common sense. But at the same time you call this common
> sense "plain high-handed and intrusive".

IINM, the OP said that he went into kdmrc and manually changed the
keyword he needed in order to enable DM root login, but that KDM had
been changed to ignore that keyword no matter what the setting in kdmrc.

Having the keyword set to disable the feature is common sense.  Patching
KDM to refuse to acknowledge it even if it's enabled is not.