[Mageia-dev] Help: Please find me initscripts without LSB headers!

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Apr 12 01:47:34 CEST 2012

Hiya,

Others have answered your other points, so that just leaves me with....

'Twas brillig, and Remco Rijnders at 11/04/12 18:50 did gyre and gimble:
> Noticing at least one of "my" packages on the list, I am left with a few
> questions:
>
> 1) What happens if it doesn't get fixed?

Bad things! Kittens will cry and puppies noses will go dry.

Basically, it complicates things. Rather than using "real" dependency
info found in LSB headers to determine any transaction ordering
requirements (e.g. when starting all services needed at boot), all we
have to go on are the priority numbers in the chkconfig line or the nn
values in the /etc/rc?.d/S[nn]script symlink. This is OK for something,
but it imposes far too strict (and 99% bogus) set of ordering
requirements for the boot transaction.

This overly strict ordering imposed can lead to cycles in the
transaction requirements. systemd will break the cycle but it will do so
rather brutally by dropping jobs - on more than one occasion, this has
resulted in prefdm.service's start job getting dropped. i.e. no
graphical display.