[Mageia-dev] mysql CVE's in mga1 => have it update to mariadb

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Apr 13 12:45:51 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Maarten Vanraes at 13/04/12 07:28 did gyre and gimble:
> after talking with mariadb people and some others, i'm proposing to update 
> mysql 5.5.10 to mariadb-5.5.23 in mga1.

I would be pretty strongly against this.

I think it's fine we're using mariadb in mga2, but I really don't fancy
making this switch on a stable distro.

It just seems like a really, really bad idea. Not necessarily
technically, but in pretty much all other aspects - you have to consider
how this would be viewed as well - changing something like this for a
stable distro puts a big question mark over future stability and updates
etc. too.

If you are not able to work on the CVE issue for mga1 because you're
unable to test properly a mysql fix, then please let someone else do it.
I'm sure we all understand why you'd rather push mariadb and why you
maybe wouldn't want to work on mysql. That's fine, we won't hold it
against you :D



Colin Guthrie

Day Job:
  Tribalogic Limited http://www.tribalogic.net/
Open Source:
  Mageia Contributor http://www.mageia.org/
  PulseAudio Hacker http://www.pulseaudio.org/
  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/

More information about the Mageia-dev mailing list