[Mageia-dev] Broken database problem solved but not all well

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Apr 16 15:27:27 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Anne Wilson at 16/04/12 13:28 did gyre and gimble:
> On 16/04/12 13:15, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> On 16/04/12 09:21, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and Anne Wilson at 15/04/12 18:39 did gyre and
>>> gimble:

>>> This is just your media being out of date I think.
>
>>> I pushed an update to sound-scripts-0.62-3.mga2.noarch.rpm
>>> yesterday. Just wait for the mirror to get itself up to date.
>
>> Thanks - that helped a lot.  I've now done the big update, choosing
>>  kernel-netbook (from memory) and rebooted.  All seemed to be going
>>  well until -
>
>> 'systemctl status plymouth-quit-wait.service' for details ]See
>
>> (screen message not garbled before that one) - and it has stopped.
>> I thought someone said this was a known problem now fixed, so what
>> do I do now?
>
> A restart got it past that point.  Now it hangs after
>
> Started LSB: Network monitoring daemon [OK]

I strongly suspect it's not hanging. It's likely just stopped doing
things. Flip over to tty2 and you should have a text login.

>From there, can you get the output of "systemctl status prefdm.service"
I suspect it has not even tried to start yet.

Do a "systemctl start prefdm.service" and you should have your normal
logins.

I suspect strongly this is simply the legacy non-LSB initscripts issue I
mentioned last week that is preventing the prefdm.service job from being
executed on boot.

> Also, there is the message
>
> Failed to start LSB: Update the Intel / AMD CPU microcode [FAILED]

That's likely because you do not have the microcode itself installed.
It's from a package in tainted so would not be installed by default.