[Mageia-dev] Broken database problem solved but not all well

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Apr 18 15:52:41 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Anne Wilson at 18/04/12 13:46 did gyre and gimble:
> On 18/04/12 13:09, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure it's KDM that failing and subsequently bringing X
>> down with it. I'll see if I can reproduce with KDM here.
>>
> kdm.log was >5000 lines and full of identical lines, so I mv'd it.  The
> attached is a clean kdm.log.  Those 29 lines have the answer :-)

Indeed it does!

> (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
> Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x40800) with this library (version 0x40801)
> KCrash: Application 'kdmgreet' crashing...
> KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi directly
> Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x40800) with this library (version 0x40801)
> Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

Seems like there is some Qt mixup here.

Can you figure out what library it's talking about? It can be quite hard
to know what's wrong, but here are some tips:

1. Make sure that "urpmi --auto-update" definitely returns nothing to be
upgraded.

2. Does "urpme --auto-orphans" work? Be careful as it may suggest
removing more than it should. If the suggestions look valid enough, does
this help the issue? If so, can you provide a list of the rpms removes?

3. Assuming things are still bust, run "urpmq --not-available | sort".
This will show you packages that are installed on the machine that are
NOT available via the media. You'll typically get old libraries here
(i.e. ones with old major versions that are no longer needed. These are
deliberately not removed as users may have compiled their own programs
against such libraries and we don't want to break such setups.

Anyway, this might suggest some things. You should probably remove those
things that look non-Qt related first and confirm that things are still
broken after their removal. Then remove any remaining Qt related looking
things and confirm that it fixes things. If the problem goes away at any
step (first or second), please let us know which packages your removed
in that step so we know which one is to blame.

4. If things are still broken, do you have an old self-compiled version
of Qt or similar in /usr/local/ or /opt/ that might be messing with things?

That should get you closer!