[Mageia-dev] Freeze exception? MythTV.

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Apr 20 17:32:27 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Anssi Hannula at 19/04/12 18:50 did gyre and gimble:
> 19.04.2012 00:16, Colin Guthrie kirjoitti:
>> Hi,
>>
>> MythTV has (at last!) a new version out. I would like to include this in
>> mga2. I appreciate it's late but as a leaf package I think it'll be safe
>> enough. It'll be the version I'll likely be personally running here at
>> home (as a backport) so I'd prefer it if that was the same one I was
>> supporting generally.
>>
>> But it's not something I'm massively worried about generally, so if
>> people have strong feelings please do make them known.
>>
>> I've already ported the mythtv package and the LAME patches. Will do the
>> plugins one shortly (I'll need to do this anyway for my own needs so not
>> wasted effort).
>>
>> Anssi, what do you think about including this in mga2?
>
> It indeed would be very late for such a change.
>
> But I would still probably side on the allowing side, due to the sum of
> the following reasons (which are not reasons enough on their own):
> - maintainer wants to include it and is running it himself anyway, so it
>   gets good testing and support
> - MythTV has major releases very rarely (at least so far), but the
>   release branches seem to be supported for a long time (unless I
>   misinterpret their version numbers)
> - bugs affecting the upgrade of the distribution are unlikely, since
>   this is a leaf package
> - bugs affecting the installation of the distribution are unlikely,
>   since mythtv is not part of any default installation
> - all bugs can still be fixed with /updates, and mythtv is not part
>   of any release media AFAICS
> - we don't have /backports for providing this afterwards
>
> However, if other people are against this, I guess it is better not to
> do it.

It seems that there has not been a chorus of disapproval, so I've
committed and requested a push.

Can still revert if someone steps in with a big objection.

Right, I'm done with any freeze version exception requests. I'll be a
good boy from now on :D (probably).