[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release task-obsolete-3-21.mga3

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Wed Aug 1 15:00:48 CEST 2012

Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
> Le 01/08/2012 09:31, Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
>>>
>>> # urpmi --auto-select --keep -vv --debug
>>> (...)
>>> installed libreoffice-core-3.6.0.1-1.mga3.x86_64 is conflicting
>>> because of unsatisfied libdb-5.2.so()(64bit)
>>> unselecting task-obsolete-3-21.mga3.noarch
>>> A requested package cannot be installed:
>>> task-obsolete-3-21.mga3.noarch (in order to keep
>>> libreoffice-core-3.6.0.1-1.mga3.x86_64)
>>> Continue installation anyway? (Y/n)
>> Whoever had the brilliant idea of forcing package uninstallation just
>> because "they are not supported anymore" deserve a good spanking...
>> Especially when applied to libraries, whereas shipping them in specific
>> versioned subpackage 'libfication' was meant precisely to avoid this
>> issue.
>
> Morevoer, it's quite ridiculous to focus on removing obsoleted package
> from end users machines, without first cleaning our own
> infrastructure: db5.2 is still present in the subversion repository,
> for instance...
>
> So, removing a package from the distribution should imply:
> 1) removing it from the subversion repository
> 2) removing it from the master package tree (adding obsoletes tag in
> any package just for this is overkill)
> 3) eventually removing it from end user machines, provided this last
> step bring some added value (which is still unproven)

+1
This last point reminds me of the obsoletes of openoffice put in the
libreoffice spec, when there was no real conflicts and there were some
differences.  So a regression in libreoffice required me to install
upstream libreoffice so I could install openoffice alongside, to work
around the regressions when I needed to.
So definitely no added value.
These obsoletes are still there.

--
André