[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release task-obsolete-3-21.mga3

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 16:38:00 CEST 2012

On 1 August 2012 16:29, Olivier Thauvin <nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:

>> > Unless they are effective file conflict, and libreoffice can't be installed
>> > simultaneously, I see no actual reason to force its removal.
>>
>> They do conflicts.
>> We do not maintain it anymore.
>> We do no want to have bugs reports about package Y on mgaX about
>> packages "that were obviously build by mga" (yes but for mgaX-10).
>
> Yes but:
> - it's up to packagers to point the package is not supported anymore (as
>   it is not on mirrors)
> - the obsolete should be in the package that replace the previous one
>   (the word 'replace' is important)

Agreed.

> - it is really a bad practice to choose for users what is good or not.

Well, in the libreoffice case, this was well documented (and anyway, OO wasn't
even supported upstream for ~ 2 years)
For the db case, it's about a older version of a low level library that never
went into a released version.
The end user doesn't care whether it's apps are builded against libdb-5.2,
or 5.3 (even more since 5.2 was only available in cauldron)