[Mageia-dev] ANNOUNCE: The /usr move cometh! <---- Instructions

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Aug 3 12:15:55 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Pascal Terjan at 03/08/12 00:40 did gyre and gimble:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Pascal Terjan <pterjan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 1:12 AM, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>>> OK, so the packages have now all been uploaded.
>>>
>>> You should see several packages now that you cannot install on Cauldron.
>>> This is intended behaviour.
>>>
>>> Here is how to update your cauldron systems:
>>>
>>>  1. Run "urpmi --auto-update" install everything that can be installed.
>>>  2. Ensure that latest dracut is installed. Run "urpmi dracut" to make
>>> sure (it may have been excluded in the --auto-update if it was in a
>>> transaction with other packages that could not be installed).
>>>  3. Ensure that you do not have zapata or dpkg installed (rpm -e zapata;
>>> rpm -e dpkg)
>>>  4. Generate a new initrd and include the conversion script: dracut -f
>>> -a convertfs
>>>  5. If you have /usr on a separate partition
>>>      - Ensure there is enough free space to hold /bin, /sbin, /lib and
>>> /lib64 content.
>>>      - If your /usr is mounted readonly, change your /etc/fstab to mount
>>> it rw.
>>>  6. Reboot.
>>>  7. At the bootloader prompt, edit the command line and append: "rw
>>> rd.convertfs" (without the quotes) to your command line and then boot.
>>>
>>> That should be all that is needed :)
>>
>> How to update a chroot?
>
> Answering to myself:
>
> chroot $chroot urpmi dracut
> $chroot/usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/30convertfs/convertfs.sh $chroot
>
> That did the conversion, but I still can't update, probably because my
> rpm is too old (rpm-4.9.1.3-2.mga2) as it was not possible to update
> it before the conversion (it pulls filesystem).

Yeah in this case if the conversion is done, I'd just recommend
installing filesystem --nodeps and the rest should flow. It's not ideal
certainly, but there is still time to polish this a bit before upgraders
get hit by this (and as there will be updated rpm packages in the stable
releases, it should mitigate this specific problem, but we should still
see if we can do things better)