[Mageia-dev] ANNOUNCE: The /usr move cometh! <---- Instructions

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Aug 3 14:57:51 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Pascal Terjan at 03/08/12 11:32 did gyre and gimble:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Christiaan Welvaart
> <cjw at daneel.dyndns.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Aug 2012, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>
>>> 'Twas brillig, and Pascal Terjan at 03/08/12 00:40 did gyre and gimble:

>>> Yeah in this case if the conversion is done, I'd just recommend
>>> installing filesystem --nodeps and the rest should flow. It's not ideal
>>> certainly, but there is still time to polish this a bit before upgraders
>>> get hit by this (and as there will be updated rpm packages in the stable
>>> releases, it should mitigate this specific problem, but we should still
>>> see if we can do things better)
>>

>> Polish this a bit? It is not at all ready, and as I said earlier rpmlib is
>> broken. Please don't upload broken rpm packages to stable releases.
>>
>> Maybe the instructions should be:
>>   - install dracut and kernel-desktop-latest from mga3
>>   - reboot, make sure the "usrmove filesystem update"
>>     kernel entry is chosen in the bootloader
>>   - upgrade to mga3 as usual
>>
>> But that means a lot of things are still missing:
>>   - dracut automatically including the conversion script
>>     (only when needed?)
>>   - automatic generation of the bootloader entry mentioned above
>
> I would vote to also force the reboot into this entry at next boot

Yeah I was intending to have a new package that would be pushed into
mga2 that ensures dracut is installed (as opposed to mkinitrd - not sure
why you're suggesting kernel-desktop-latest here).

This new package would take care to install an initrd and add bootloader
entry for (probably) the newest currently installed kernel and probably
ensure it was the default entry until the boot was complete at which
point it would be automatically removed.

TBH I'm less worried about the "broken" rpmlib issue than Christiaan.
While I can't argue against him technically, I think practical
pragmatism is such that it's not going to be an issue for all but a
handful of people, in which case it's likely not worth me spending
several days working on a more elegant and technically correct solution.