[Mageia-dev] Free software needing non-free data

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Sat Aug 4 23:41:24 CEST 2012

On Saturday 04 August 2012 22:51, Samuel Verschelde wrote:
> And there are grayzone cases, such as:
> - prboom (free) which is meant to work with Doom's wads (nonfree) but can also
> work with freedoom (free), so it's in core even if we apply 2°

The way I see it, if it works without non-free data, then it is free software. Just because something /works/ with non-free software is no excuse to put it in non-free.
There's a difference in requires non-free data and working /best/ with non-free data. If it requires non-free data, then it belongs in non-free.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324