[Mageia-dev] Desktop monitor powering down

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Aug 8 13:42:09 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Frank Griffin at 08/08/12 11:28 did gyre and gimble:
> On 08/07/2012 09:40 PM, David Walser wrote:
>> It's not a matter of doing xset +dpms, it's generally enabled by
>> default. It's a matter of how it's configured. It has three numbers
>> for different levels of powerdown, usually you'll see three numbers in
>> the GUI configurators too. So "xset dpms 0 0 0" would have fixed your
>> problem too. So the question is what is setting your settings to
>> something crazy and why. I usually set mine to xset dpms 0 0 1200
>> which turns the monitor off after 20 minutes of inactivity.
> This is a fresh install about a week old.  After install, I have some
> scripts that re-install all packages that had been installed on the last
> system and do some configuration.  But I don't touch xset, and in fact I
> didn't know anything about dpms until Col posted and I looked it up.
>
> So, I guess that whatever enables it by default is the first place to
> look for the 30-second problem.  After that, it would have to have been
> in a package install script.

Generally speaking these settings are done in the display environment
GUIs (i.e. Gnome and KDE) thus avoiding having to call xset directly by
the user or in scripts etc. This is just a command line interface to
things the DE's should wrap already.

So I'd go looking for those bits breaking and/or something in your user
account messing up. i.e. try it with a fresh boot and logging into a
fresh user account and see if the problem still occurs. That might help
narrow down where the real problem lies.