[Mageia-dev] latest kernels not powering off machines on shutdown

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Aug 9 21:31:45 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Pascal Terjan at 09/08/12 20:04 did gyre and gimble:
> Yes because it totally makes sense to have a command to halt the
> operating system but leave the machine using some power for nothing
> (and preventing you from powering it on with wol). I am sure someone
> believes it can be useful in some strange scenario.

It's very useful and it was essential for me during the previous release
to debug shutdown logic.

I want to see and read the debug that happens here and with a regular
poweroff the debug disappears before you can read it. It's maybe not
something you want to use regularly, but it doesn't mean it's not
useful. There were always "poweroff" and "halt" commands - the names
speak for themselves, it's just people got used to broken behaviour in
the past. If you want to power your machine down, just type "poweroff".
If you want to halt it, then type "halt". Kinda self explanatory really.
Use the right tool for the right job :)