[Mageia-dev] latest kernels not powering off machines on shutdown

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 21:44:52 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Pascal Terjan at 09/08/12 20:33 did gyre and gimble:
>> But even since I know it has changed, 10 years habits had me typing
>> halt and then saying some bad words as it meant I would not be able to
>> power it on again for a few days.
>
> OK, how about a compromise, "urpmi restore-broken-halt-command" which
> just contains a single file /etc/profile.d/99broken-halt-command.sh
> which contains:
>
> alias halt=poweroff

Well my own machine already has halt='halt -p' since the day I lost it
like that :)
What annoys me is that I don't see the point of changing the default
behavior of a (quite important) command while the new default is
something people would only want to use in very rare cases and will
cause problems to most of them.