[Mageia-dev] latest kernels not powering off machines on shutdown

Christiaan Welvaart cjw at daneel.dyndns.org
Fri Aug 10 10:39:30 CEST 2012

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, Colin Guthrie wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Pascal Terjan at 09/08/12 20:04 did gyre and gimble:
>> Yes because it totally makes sense to have a command to halt the
>> operating system but leave the machine using some power for nothing
>> (and preventing you from powering it on with wol). I am sure someone
>> believes it can be useful in some strange scenario.
>
> It's very useful and it was essential for me during the previous release
> to debug shutdown logic.

The shutdown command has always been used for this. Apparently you need to
pass -H to it now, though. To power off aka 'halt' a machine, shutdown -h
was used and this still works according to the manpage.

Please read the halt manpage (and others):

"These are legacy commands available for compatibility only."

So you arguing its behavior is now "fixed" because it was "broken" does
not make sense.

     Christiaan