[Mageia-dev] SSH PAM configuration

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 09:34:46 CEST 2012

Le 12/08/2012 21:57, David Walser a écrit :
> Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
>> On Sunday 12 August 2012 19:28, David Walser wrote:
>>> Through the PAM configuration for SSH shipped with the openssh-server package, root login is broken.  Here's why.  /etc/pam.d/sshd has:
>>> auth required pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny file=/etc/ssh/denyusers
>>>
>>> The file /etc/ssh/denyusers has "root" in it by default.
>>
>> I read somewhere some time ago that PermitRootLogin in sshd_config is ignored if PAM is used.
>> That may be the reason for this.
>
> Nope, I just tested it and that is not true.
There is an explicit comment in the configuration file:
# Depending on your PAM configuration,
# PAM authentication via ChallengeResponseAuthentication may bypass
# the setting of "PermitRootLogin without-password".

My understanding is just than some specific PAM configuration would
eventually allow root user to authenticate through a password, instead
of a key.

Regarding your original problem, feel free to commit the relevant
modifications.
--
BOFH excuse #405:

Sysadmins unavailable because they are in a meeting talking about why
they are unavailable so much.