[Mageia-dev] UsrMove failure

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Tue Aug 14 12:13:48 CEST 2012

On Tuesday 14 August 2012 11:34, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> I happily have e2fsck in my initrd.

Which was not my whole point. The average user is trained to use fsck to check filesystems when this prompt comes along. Almost every guide out there directed to the normal user describes running fsck, not e2fsck. It is even written in the prompt text that one should run fsck, not e2fsck. Either the text in the prompt should be changed or fsck should be included in the initrd/dracut.
I even instruct people to use the TABulator to auto complete paths and filenames, to reduce the risk of typos in commands. This doesn't work in the initrd prompt, either.
This should be fixed.

In my 12 years of using Linux, this is the first time I've had to use it. It is the first time ever that the various fsck.* tools were Not available. It is also the first time the up-arrow did not work in command line. So any typo in commands resulted in having to manually retype the entire command. Which is a royal pain in the Ass when fscking multiple filesystems. No, really.

Another problem with this new setup is that local helper scripts to check filesystems is not available. My brother had Mandriva for about a year. He even thinks Windows is dificult. So I made a shellscript for him to run the next time he saw the fsck prompt, which would run "/sbin/fsck.ext3 -y /dev/sdxx" on all partitions. This no longer works in the current setup, forcing every user to manually running a complicated command in the shell, with options they have never heard of.
I do not believe I'm alone in having to making this kind of local helper scripts for users who have no intentions of learning to use the command line.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324