[Mageia-dev] The life After usrMove - KDE failure

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Aug 15 12:54:00 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Johnny A. Solbu at 15/08/12 11:43 did gyre and gimble:
> I finally managed to complete the usrmove conversion, and today KDE failed.
> When login in it complaiins: "Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation". Same happens with startx.
> When I manually launch /usr/bin/ksmserver in a terminal, it segfaults.
>
> kdebase4-workspace is the newest package, which was installed after completing the usrmove.

I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that this is *caused* by
the usrmove. Once it's done, there is very little it does in and off
itself to get in the way. All the paths that worked before still work.
The only difference would be if some code does some strange things with
checking folders in /bin /sbin, /lib* etc. which is very, very unlikely.

A more likely fallout is the conversion of /var/run and /var/lock to
symlinks to /run. This speeds up boot by a few seconds (I've seen
mandriva-clean-var-run-lock.service taking >5s on some machines with
slow disks) so it's a very useful change.

That said there are still a few pagages that need fixing up for this:

urpmf "/var/(run|lock)" | grep ":/var"

About 87 packages in total. Perhaps one of them is to blame for your
problem, but it doesn't look immediately obvious that any of those
packages would cause any problems. Maybe policykit, but even then I'm
not sure.