[Mageia-dev] updating torque?

eatdirt dirteat at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 00:53:06 CEST 2012

> the obvious question....
>
> Do we really need 2 branches of torque ?
>
> Why not simply say bye-bye to 2.* series ?
>
> --
> Thomas

Agreed! I was just avoiding to do a big jump as 2.5.x is still
maintained upstream, but ultimately that could be the plan.

As we have some bugs on the current 2.5.3 version on mga2, we could also
fix them by upgrading to 2.5.12, drop 2.5.12 in cauldron and move the 4.1.

The folks at torque says:

<<
The 2.5.x branch is the current maintenance build and will continue to
have minor features and functionality added to it. The build has been
deployed successfully in many environments and is considered reliable.
Build torque-2.5.12.tar.gz is the latest release and the one we
recommend most sites use.

For the branch 3, the summary is not very encouraging :)

<<
The 3.0.x branch has all 2.5.x functionality plus support for NUMA
architectures, such as SGI. The 3.0.x branch is not backward compatible.
Even though the 3.0.x code branch will work on all platforms we
recommend 2.5.x for sites that do not need NUMA. Build
torque-3.0.6.tar.gz is the latest release for the 3.0.x branch and will
be the last release in the 3.0.x branch. Adaptive Computing support for
the 3.0.x branch will end on December 31, 2012.

4.1 is indeed the next step:

<<
The 4.1.x branch has added significant enhancements and a streamlined
architecture for managing workload faster, more reliably and with easier
administration on Cray systems. It also features fixes and updates from
the 4.0.x branch. It is the latest TORQUE release and the one we
recommend customers use

cheers,
chris.