[Mageia-dev] Package removal proposal

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Sat Aug 25 02:33:31 CEST 2012

* Guillaume Rousse (guillomovitch at gmail.com) wrote:
> Le 24/08/2012 17:04, Olivier Blin a écrit :
> >>Agreed. Hence the point of writing the procedure somewhere.
> >
> >You mean like already done here? :)
> >https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Packaging_guidelines#Obsoleting_a_package
> Ah, great. Excepted that I disagree with the 'thou shall force users
> to remove the package also', by using obsolete tags.

I disagree with this suggest: it is not because the packager want to
drop the package from the distribution the package must be drop from all
computer around the world.

Moreover we take the risk to match a completelly unrelated package (git
is one the notable example, before being a VCS it was a set tools).

For me obsolete should be reserved for replacements or rename, nothing
more.

BTW: I don't understand the need of versionned obsolete (why the <=
cauldron version).

Regards.

--

Olivier Thauvin