[Mageia-dev] Mageia 2 can be turned to cauldron actually?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Aug 28 10:11:06 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Thomas Spuhler at 28/08/12 02:50 did gyre and gimble:
> On Monday, August 27, 2012 07:38:44 AM Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Luiz Alberto Saba at 27/08/12 15:23 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> I've done a fresh mageia 2 install (x86_64) to test a new ssd.
>>> Can I change the resitories to cauldron and do a urpmi --auto-select or
>>> it will not work?
>>
>> Install the update rpm package from mga2 updates_testing first, then
>> switch your repos and "urpmi dracut" and follow the instructions from
>> step 2 on https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:UsrMove#Release_Notes.
>>
>> After following these steps the rest of the auto-select/upgrade should
>> go smoothly.
>>
>> Let me know if there are any issues.
>>
>> Col
>
> And if you upgrade from 2, then be very, very patient. You will see a lot of
> errors when booting and and you need to wait for timeouts to happen. The /usr
> move kind of happens randomly.

It certainly shouldn't behave that way! It certainly doesn't "happen
randomly", it happens when you specifically tell it to happen via a
kernel command line argument and if you're on the same filesystem for
both / and /usr then the whole process will usually take < 1 minute
(depending on disk speed and number of packages).

There should be NO timeouts (or at least no *more* timeouts than usual!
:p) The usrmove part of the initrd is just a script that is run at the
right point and has absolutely zero bearing on any timeouts.

I've not seen any bug report about this behaviour (other than what has
been discussed and resolved on this list), so if you have such reports,
please do share them.

The new dracut was problematic due to various incompatibilities and
issues introduced by half updated systems in cauldron, but upgrading
from mga2 should, in theory at least, be much smoother.

> You may need to try a few times.  Calculate
> about 1/2 hour to boot, but eventually you should get there.
>
> This is on a virtual box.

Can you give more details. If it's VB then any strange timeouts etc.
should be easy to reproduce. I have of course ran this upgrade about 20
times inside virtual box and even when they were on separate partitions
it didn't take more than a few minutes to copy the files.

I'd really like to get to the bottom of any issue, but I need specifics!

Cheers