[Mageia-dev] Fresh mga2 install - NO screen !

Digigold digigold808 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 14:57:27 CEST 2012

On 08/30/2012 08:01 AM, Frank Griffin wrote:
> On 08/30/2012 07:45 AM, Remco Rijnders wrote:
>>
>> Courtesy of wobo, this is what we used last weekend:
>>
>> - Add "init 3" to the boot parameters, this should take you to text
>> only login.
>>
>> - Run XFDrake to see what driver you are using and possibly adjust it
>> if needed.
>>
> That will work fine, if you're lucky enough to have a driver/card that
> works in text mode without firmware.   Unfortunately, the older ATI
> ones don't.
FWIW my laptop has an ATI Radeon Mobility 4250 and I do a fresh cauldron
install about every other week.  I do have initial issues with the
Radeon upon first boot; however, I always just login to run level 3, (I
add "ro 3" not "init 3", but get the same result.)  add the non-free
repo then install the needed drivers, firmware and fglrx kernel mod.
Reboot to RL3 again.  Run the display setup program. Adjust settings
accordingly, then reboot to RL5 and proceed normally.

Regards

--

        /"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back
        to its old dimensions."/

          *~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.*