[Mageia-dev] Mageia 1 EOL.

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Sun Dec 2 13:08:55 CET 2012

Op zondag 2 december 2012 12:28:39 schreef Sander Lepik:
> 02.12.2012 08:46, blind Pete kirjutas:
> > One and a half release cycles?
> >
> > Perhaps future realeases could have;
> > 9 month release cycle,
> > 12 month "full" support,
> > 15 months "partial" support?
>
> Our releases already have 18 months "full" support. And as David already
> said, we lack enough QA people. QA can't support 2 releases + test 3rd one
> at the same time. If we want Mageia 3 to be good and tested distro then we
> have to give QA more time to play with it.

perhaps

> > 9 month release cycle,
> > 12 month "full" support,
> > 15 months "partial" support?

is a good idea, if there's an LTS version.

on the one end, i like overlap, so i'd like to propose this:

release cycle: 9months
supported release: releasetime(release + 1) + 3 months
only security support: support-time + 3 months

this means whatever our releasetime becomes (if it's delayed into 10 or even
11 months we can stick with this.

the same structure could be done with LTS (if we ever have it):

LTS release cycle: (3 normal releases)
LTS support: ( LTS-release - 1) + 6 months
(in practice: this will mean 3y LTS support, due to delays)

==> this would mean all our users would need to go to the next version and not
skip one.

==> this means we can lessen the burden on QA

upgrade support would be from (release - 1) to release
LTS upgrade support would be from (LTSrelease - 1) to LTSrelease

no other upgrade path supported.

Can we agree on this? (even if we don't have LTS now, nor even have to decide
on it yet)

steps if we have more QA resources:
1) having LTS
2) increasing 1 normal release
3) increasing release cycle of LTS so as to have a longer supported LTS

the big point here, is that overlap is very useful, and until we have enough
resources, having only overlap on top of 1 release, is good for now.