[Mageia-dev] Will the 'official' Mageia-3 installer have a 'GRUB Legacy' option?

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Sun Dec 2 13:13:42 CET 2012

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 21:43:28 +0200, Thomas Backlund wrote:

> I guess he means that if we switch to Grub2 by default, will we still
> support greb legacy ?

  Correct!

I.e. when installing 'GRUB2' Mageia-3, will there be an option to use
GRUB-Legacy instead?

The reason I ask is that:

  (1) On my desktop I use the excellent GAG bootloader in the MBR, and it cannot
boot GRUB2 installs.  See e.g.:
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/gag/forums/forum/230439/topic/3533186
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAG_%28boot_loader%29

  (2) On my netbook, I chainload via a GRUB-legacy Mageia MBR, where the Mageia
menu.lst picks up all the other installs. (This includes the GRUB2 Ubuntu and
Mint, whose GRUB2 menu's purport to boot the GRUB-legacy installs but fail to
do so, hence though I know how to chainload from a GRUB-legacy menu.lst into a
GRUB2 boot install, I do not know how to boot into a GRUB-legacy install from a
GRUB2 menu.  If you see what I mean...

Those are just some of the reasons why I would like to avoid - or postpone -
conversion to GRUB2, the need for which I still fail to comprehend.

--
/\/\aurice