[Mageia-dev] Will the 'official' Mageia-3 installer have a 'GRUB Legacy' option?

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Mon Dec 3 13:39:28 CET 2012

Maurice Batey a écrit :
> On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 21:43:28 +0200, Thomas Backlund wrote:
>
>> I guess he means that if we switch to Grub2 by default, will we still
>> support greb legacy ?
>
>    Correct!
>
> I.e. when installing 'GRUB2' Mageia-3, will there be an option to use
> GRUB-Legacy instead?
>
> The reason I ask is that:
>
>    (1) On my desktop I use the excellent GAG bootloader in the MBR, and it cannot
> boot GRUB2 installs.  See e.g.:
>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/gag/forums/forum/230439/topic/3533186
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAG_%28boot_loader%29

The second reference mentions *potential* problems accessing a grub2
partition, in the event of repartitioning.  Implying that GAG can indeed
boot to grub2 partitions.
Such problems could always be corrected by reinstalling grub in the
partition in question.
Note that GAG conflicts with the newer GPT partition table disk format,
so sooner or later you will have to migrate to something else.

If you have problems with GAG, you could always replace it with grub2 in
the boot sector.

>    (2) On my netbook, I chainload via a GRUB-legacy Mageia MBR, where the Mageia
> menu.lst picks up all the other installs. (This includes the GRUB2 Ubuntu and
> Mint, whose GRUB2 menu's purport to boot the GRUB-legacy installs but fail to
> do so, hence though I know how to chainload from a GRUB-legacy menu.lst into a
> GRUB2 boot install, I do not know how to boot into a GRUB-legacy install from a
> GRUB2 menu.  If you see what I mean...

Grub2 does seem more complicated to customize.
A tutorial which should help :
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html

--
André