[Mageia-dev] Package drop request: ruby-ParseTree

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 15:55:05 CET 2012

Le 10/12/2012 14:01, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
> I see absolutely no problem with this and I don't consider this
> something that's done as a "side effect", rather it's a quite deliberate
> and concious mechanism to remove no longer supported packages from a
> users machine.
Shikamaru never asked about end user machines, but about mirrors. Hence
my point:
- if you just want to remove some files from the mirrors, ask an admin
- if you also want to remove old packages from end users machines, first
think twice about the expected result, then update task-obsolete

And on the more general interest of using obsolete tags, I'd rather
suggest to refrain from using them without a very good reason. In ten
years of contribution, I've never seen the mandriva bugzilla drowned by
bug reports about unsupported packages (the main argument in support of
the current 'thou shall obsoletes anything that is not supported
anymore' frenzy), whereas I've seen at least two recent painful episodes
in cauldron caused by careless packagers...

--
BOFH excuse #234:

Someone is broadcasting pygmy packets and the router doesn't know how to
deal with them.