[Mageia-dev] Python packaging policy

PhilippeDidier philippedidier at laposte.net
Thu Dec 13 19:21:58 CET 2012

Claire REVILLET a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Le 13/12/2012 09:00, Shlomi Fish a écrit :
>> Hi Joseph,
>>
>> On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 14:53:04 +0800
>> Joseph Wang<joequant at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
> [...]
>>> * I'd like to add a rule (which is followed by current packages) that
>>> the prefix "py" should
>>> generally be removed from a package name.  For example pyopencl
>>> should be
>>> called python-opencl.  This is the current convention for packages in
>>> mageia.
>> I'm OK with it either way.
> I disagree on that point: software and libraries names are choose by the
> developers.
> Who are we to change them ?
>
> Adding "python-" at the beginning of the package name for our own
> organization is one thing, changing the name is another.
>
> And our policy only talk about upstream names containing the complete
> word "python", not just "py".
>
> Claire

A package name is not a software name... and we have already some
packages whose the name is not the same as in other distributions for
reasons that belong to our and their organisation :
look at JACK (Jack Audio Connection Kit) for instance

- opensuse has a rpm simply called jack

- Mandriva and Mageia need to name it jackit (because an other software,
to rip cd, was already provided in a rpm called jack)

- Debian and Ubuntu name their deb jackd or jackd1 (Debian too already
used the name jack for the package installing the same cd ripper as
Mandrake)

- fedora and slackware call the rpm jack-audio-connection-kit (with
lowercase...)

Those distibutions have their coherency  their needs : it's difficult to
standardise the packages names for all the distributions because these
names have an historical origin !

You can complain ... but that is how it is...

For a distribution the need is coherence for its own packagers

My two drachmes

Philippe