[Mageia-dev] [atelier-discuss] music&sounds

Marja van Waes marja11 at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 22 11:25:47 CET 2012

On 19/12/2012 11:36, Ra wrote:
> just an idea of the day well i thought about music first. i've been
> thinking about using jamendo while install and decided that all it
> needs is some prebuilt clementine like client with access to
> internet only, but then thinking of policies and CPU time i decided
> to move forward and an idea is to  include the music player into
> login screen. well first problem is that when you exit the session
> the music players usually stops so you need to execute it in
> parallel terminal and i thought that if the player with strict
> functions can be accessed without logging into the system with some
> /music_make_some_magic shared for this purposes for the user that
> executes the player process and access to internet (if root is
> pretty gentle) then most of people can use it like a player - that
> is one of the reasons that people uses the computer - the second is
> web browser, so this can be built into the logon too but without
> using sensitive information, so you can just go to control center
> and enable player function and browser and it will be working, if
> you need your own collection of music or your very needed passwords
> then you need to login into system. But actually it's about music
> and music player really. i just think that most of the people who
> uses their computers at home usually not setting the passwords and
> doing the automatic login it means that they don't care of the
> security and all they need is not too much. Or you can take the
> system on the notebook and to simply play music or check some news
> you will need to login, while it is not needed especially if
> someone else asks you to look some site that you don't know.

Isn't this more something to write to the mageia-development mailing
list? https://www.mageia.org/mailman/listinfo/mageia-dev

They are the ones who'll know whether it can be made possible without
major problems to listen to music while installing Mageia and/or
before logging in, and if it is possible and OK, one of them must be
willing to write the needed code.

About the last part of your mail:

Personally, I know only very few people who don't need a password to
use their computer. The few I do know, still don't want to have an
insecure system.

If you need to check a website that you don't trust, you could use the
guest account (no password needed and it uses a restricted shell)

Cheers,
Marja