[Mageia-dev] starting openssh inside a chroot, as per mageia wiki

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 12:17:42 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Guillaume Rousse
<guillomovitch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 27/12/2012 11:29, Pascal Terjan a écrit :
>
>>> It seems like the systemd way of starting would be:
>>> systemctl start openssh.service
>>>
>>> But, then produces an error:
>>>
>>> [root at localhost /]# systemctl start openssh.service
>>> Running in chroot, ignoring request.
>>>

>>> So,  Any thoughts on what is the recommended way, and I'll be happy to
>>> update the wiki to reflect this.
>>

>> Last time I tried, I gave up after various attempts and now went back
>> to the basics: running "sshd" and killing it to stop it.
>> Maybe I'll fetch some old initscript.
>
> I guess using a specific unit file, using builtin systemd chroot support,
> should help. See http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/changing-roots for
> details.

Yes having an unit outside of the chroot with
RootDirectoryStartOnly=yes would probably help (I had tried the "full
system" chroot and couldn't get it to work and gave up after an hour)
but this is annoying to not be able to start a daemon from inside the
chroot which is what I usually want to do.