[Mageia-dev] Grub and Grub2

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Sat Feb 4 10:32:45 CET 2012

Michel Catudal a écrit :
> Le 03/02/2012 19:05, Pierre Jarillon a écrit :
>> I have installed Mageia on a disk after Ubuntu.
>> After the install, I reboot and Ubuntu was ignored in Grub.
>> The owner of the PC was not happy and tought that Mageia is bad.
>>
>> I have not found how to restore an access to Ubuntu and after an
>> hour, I have
>> reinstalled Ubuntu which install its grub2 allowing to boot on both
>> systems.
>>
>> In Caudron, grub2 is not still used. Is time to switch to Grub2 ?
>>

> I have installed both ubuntu and mageia with no problem with regard to
> booting ubuntu.
> You must have left ubuntu put the bootloader on the MBR. If you are
> going to install several Linux distribution you should install the OS
> on partitions and not on the MBR.
>
> On my PC I use xosl as a bootloader and always install grub on the
> boot partition. A few years back I got burned when I forgot to change
> the default.
> One thing that pisses me off on all the Linux distribution, including
> Mageia is that the fact that the bootloader is on the MBR is sorta
> hidden and it is not obvious how to switch it to the partition. It
> should be on the top with boxes with the choice of where we want it
> and a message that is not cryptic and makes it obvious what that does.
> That way I don't see where we could accidentaly screw up our system.
> There is no problem if you have only one operating system to have grub
> on the MBR but brain dead to put it there when you have several OS.
> Specially when you have diffferent incompatible versions of grub.
>
> The way I recovered the messed up boot was to boot on my xosl boot
> diskette and restore its boot.
>
> Here is the layout of one of my hard disks.
>
> Périphérique Amorce  Début        Fin      Blocs     Id  Système
> /dev/sda1               1           1        8001   78  Inconnu <-- xosl
> /dev/sda2               2         261     2088450    6  FAT16 <-- Free
> Dos
> /dev/sda3   *         262         276      120487+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda4             277      243201  1951295062+   5  Etendue
> /dev/sda5             277         750     3807373+  82  Linux swap /
> Solaris
> /dev/sda6             751         765      120456   83  Linux
> /dev/sda7             766         780      120456   83  Linux
> /dev/sda8             781         795      120456   83  Linux
> /dev/sda9             796       60000   475564131   83  Linux
> /dev/sda10          60001      120000   481949968+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda11         120001      160000   321299968+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda12         160001      200000   321299968+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda13         200001      243201   347012001   83  Linux
>

> Michel

So the key point seems to be a separate boot partition, which links to
the root partitions of the different systems, which each have their
system-specific boot loaders.
That could probably be done with grub without too much problem, if it
can't be installed like that already.
(The initial boot step simply chain-loading to whatever system, as it
already does with ms-based systems.)
Sounds like a lot more stable approach.  And it shouldn't take any
longer to boot to Linux.
Or maybe we should package xosl ?

--
André