[Mageia-dev] Grub and Grub2

Michel Catudal michelcatudal at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 03:31:32 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-04 15:40, andre999 a écrit :

> I use gnome2 as well (in preference to kde for the same reasons), but I modify it to have only 1 panel on top.  (To give me more screen space.)
> I put all the static icons under one drawer ("tiroir") icon, and group all instances of the same application together.  Which works nicely.
> Under gnome3 there is at least one project (I forget the name) that seems to provide the panels and menus removed by gnome3.  Hopefully that will work.
> Otherwise I'll be looking for another desktop myself.

For me space is not an issue with my 24 inch monitor. I am actually looking at a bigger one, being spoiled at work with two monitors, one of them being  30 inches.

I had made the mistake of not blocking gnome 3 stuff and accidentally had it installed on my old gentoo. I spent several days trying to recover from the damage and found it so much a pain that I decided to recreate the whole OS on another partition. Since
I had a 480G free partition and a 100MB free partition , that was not a big deal.

In gnome 2, I have a bar on top and one on the bottom. On top I have pull down menus and icons and on the bottom the information on which app is open. Gnome 3 removed all that stuff and makes the desktop completely useless. I had fits when I saw the damage
and I couldn't wait to swap it with kde. Luckily I had it installed. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out how to do the switch. I couldn't stand how slow kde was so I switched to Mageia which had gnome 2 as a desktop.
I had fits when I saw that Mageia is getting ready to replace gnome 2 with gnome 3. This why I went back to gentoo. There is no way in hell that I will accept gnome 3 in its current form on my PC.

I had a strange issue in kde, when I clicked to open a terminal I woud get the equivalent of the microsoft hour glass for what seems to be quite a while. In gnome 2 the opening of the terminal is almost instant. I have the same problem in Fedora 15 and gentoo.

I am curious to know, is it the same on mageia? I haven't installed kde on Mageia so I have no way of knowing.

Michel

--
For OS/2 and Linux Software visit
http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal