[Mageia-dev] Grub and Grub2

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Mon Feb 6 19:57:56 CET 2012

Maurice Batey a écrit :
> On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:50:27 -0500, Michel Catudal wrote:
>

>> On my son's computer I installed it on the MBR.
>>
>    I couldn't figure out how to do that. It seemed to me that it had to
> have a FAT32 partition, and that one would need to be running Windows
> to run the .exe file...
>

>> You could create a USB freedos installation.
>>
>    I want the boot manage in  the MBR, not on a USB device.
>

>> The
>> beauty with xosl , it is small and works nicely. Being able to put it on a
>> separate partition is a huge advantage over any other bootloader.
>>
>    But I already use GRUB (as put on the root partition of each nstall)
> as boot loader. I have several versions of Linux in various partitions.
>     What I'm looking for is a boot *manager* in the MBR which will show
> me all the installs and allow me to select one of them to boot.
>
> I've tried GAG (the best, but it has some technical hangup that
> prevents it from writing its format updates back into the MBR of
> /dev/sda, so I've been using it on floppy).
>
> I couldn't get SBM to work on a floppy (for initial testing) so am
> currently using Extipl (which Mandriva 2010.2 has in its software
> library and is very easy to install on floppy or MBR, but has a
> low-level presentation of the bootable installations).
>
> Many thanks for your efforts to help with XOSL, but I still simply
> cannot get a clear enough understanding of how the thing is set up, so I
> will pass on this one.  :-(
>
> Merci mille fois...

It was in Mandriva since version 9.1, and is also in mga1/core.
It is in the rpm group system/kernel-and-material, like grub.
I think it would be more appropriate if they (grub, extipl and similar
packages) were placed in system/configuration/boot-and-init.
As well as not being lost among the huge number of kernel packages,
their entire purpose is booting the computer, including configuration.

--
André