[Mageia-dev] FireFox ESR <= we should totally go for this wrt stable releases

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Fri Feb 10 16:58:01 CET 2012

Op vrijdag 10 februari 2012 15:34:37 schreef nicolas vigier:
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, Florian Hubold wrote:
> > Our update policy already has an exception for Firefox, and so far there
> > were no bigger issues during updates from our initial 4.0 to 10.0. And
> > if most other distros don't use ESR, we're kind of alienated, and users
> > will ask why we do that, because we're not aimed at enterprise usage
> > currently.
>
> There was an exception for firefox because there was no other choice.
> Now that mozilla provide supported stable versions, there is no reason
> to keep the exception. What would be the reason to keep updating firefox
> to the latest version and not do the same for all other software ?

that is exactly my point.

plus we can't always look at what other distro's do, because they aren't
necessarily "right" or "wrong". and indeed, there is no need to have 2
versions, and twice the QA. (unless if there is enough people who want to put
time on it, i think the current maintainer has already quite enough work.)

consider even the poll from a while ago, where it was quite clear that people
wanted support and stability, not the latest versions. and the more features
we have, the more risk of new bugs.

I don't like exceptions, and this is a good reason to get rid of one.