[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron nonfree/release drakx-installer-images-1.64-3.mga2.nonfree

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 14:21:33 CET 2012

On 15 February 2012 14:04, Thomas Backlund <tmb at mageia.org> wrote:
>> Well both stage1&  stage2 now expect XZ compressed modules.
>>
>> What's the issue on ARM? The kernel decompressor?
>
> yes.
>
> There are patches suggested/queued for 3.4 to get full XZ support for arm so
> maybe we can backport them for 3.3 depending on how intrusive they are...
>
> Thinking some more about the issue, adding something like .[g,x]z to
> to the module detection wouldn't be much coding at all and would cover
> both compressions, wdyt ?

For stage2, I've made list_modules.pm & modules.pm accept both.
Same for drakx-installer-images (besides the gz->xz recompression
(which BTW I dropped this morning)).

But stage1 only handle XZ (modules.c::kernel_module_extension()
It would need be adapted to try both gz & XZ (mdk-stage1/modules.c)
Also d-i-images compress initrd as xz

We could alter d-i-binaries & d-i-images handle both gz & xz,
but I think it would be simpler if we merge those patches so
that kernel support is the same across the architectures.

Anyway, ARM support doesn't look up to date against ia32 &
x86_64 regarding packages & the like so I think ARM port
can wait a kernel with proper support.