[Mageia-dev] New Dracut: Please test

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Feb 16 01:10:09 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 15/02/12 09:36 did gyre and gimble:
> 'Twas brillig, and David W. Hodgins at 15/02/12 01:38 did gyre and gimble:
>> On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:55:17 -0500, Colin Guthrie
>> <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>>
>>> Can everyone please test the new dracut please? Especially those of you
>>
>> With dracut-015-2, / on a partition, /usr on a lvm logical volume, the
>> initramfs no longer has the lvm2 command, or the dm_mod kernel module
>> making it impossible to mount /usr.
>>
>> The file 50mount-usr.sh is present in hooks/pre-pivot, but the file
>> 30parse-lvm.sh is no longer in hooks/cmdline.
>
> Damn, it looked like the code was OK for that. I'll have to reintroduce
> some patches I guess.
>
> Cheers for the report, I'll try and create a similar VM tonight.

OK, that was a very strange quirk.... it all boiled down to a string
comparison function :s

Can you try with dracut-015-3.mga2 when it arrives?

If you cannot boot, you can just pass rd.lvm.lv=foo/bar on the kernel
command line (where foo is the vgname and bar is the lvname)... tho'
this might or might not work too well as lvm might not be on the initrd
itself.... Even if it's not included, it however possible to run
things... with our current split of /usr (I was able to run the
necessary binaries from /sysroot with appropriate LD_LIBRARY_PATH tweaks!)