[Mageia-dev] About dm

Païou paiiou at free.fr
Fri Feb 17 11:04:08 CET 2012

zezinho <lists.jjorge at ...> writes:

> +1 , there no point in having 2 required DMs , while you can only use one at
> the same time.

I think that the fact of having some DM installed is not still annoying.
You can choose the one that you go to use.
In any case, you have one who is automatically installed: xdm.

However the main point of friction, in my opinion, it is when the not wished DM
 pulls the installation of good hundred of useless dependences.

Example:
I want to install a light desk (xfce in this case) on an a little bit ancient PC
I meet with xdm (OK), but also with kdm and all its dependences.

My idea is that, by default, it is a light DM, such as lxdm, slim or simply xdm
who is installed.
If you want the KDE office, kdm will be installed in more. The dependences of
kdm are the ones of KDE, thus no useless dependence will be installed.

If you want Gnome, it will be gdm whose dependences are the ones of Gnome.

If, by hazard, you want KDE and Gnome, well yes, you will have kdm and gdm and
you will choose the one that you want to use. But, there not useless dependence.

Of what do you think of it?