[Mageia-dev] About dm

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:13:03 CET 2012

2012/2/17 Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl>:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:36:46PM +0100, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>> Then you don't need any hard dependency from any desktop
>> environement against any display manager.
>
> That is the current situation though.
>
> Mageia only installs task-gnome-minimal. Not task-gnome. I only focus on
> ensuring task-gnome works because I consider task-gnome-minimal to be
> really arbitrary (I'd include most of task-gnome in -minimal).
>
> To see the effect of task-gnome-minimal, do a new installation and only
> have task-gnome-minimal. Then setup some chat functionality, search in
> overview mode, then click on a person. It'll result in the error message
> that it cannot find gnome-contacts.
> There are similar problems. Either lost functionality, or just error
> messages.

As I understand the "minimal" task it should only provide the packages
to run a respective environment. Chat or other such functionalities do
not belong in a minimal installation.

As for your example: when you set up gnome-minimal and after that
install a chat application it should be this application package's
task to draw all necessary dependencies (like gnome-contacts).