[Mageia-dev] About dm

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 17 14:24:43 CET 2012

Am 17.02.2012 13:13, schrieb Wolfgang Bornath:
> As I understand the "minimal" task it should only provide the packages
> to run a respective environment. Chat or other such functionalities do
> not belong in a minimal installation.
>
> As for your example: when you set up gnome-minimal and after that
> install a chat application it should be this application package's
> task to draw all necessary dependencies (like gnome-contacts).

I agree with wobo here. The "-minimal" tasks should only install a basic
desktop meaning in case of KDE (which I know better then GNOME) no
kdepim, no kdegamees, no kdeedu and so on.
It should be similar with GNOME, XFCE, LXDE and so on.

But back to dm:
Having a desktop suggest its own dm and having every other package (like
xguest) that does need a dm just require dm would be the best way imho.

Oliver